Many pages of this census are damaged and some have writing so faded and faint that it becomes nearly illegible in places. When the transcriber was uncertain of a name, age or other data, the information is followed by "??". Empty fields were either blank on the page or were completely illegible.
District 21 Bethlehem Township, enumerated by W. S. Jones
District 22, Carr Township, enumerated by Levi King
District 32, Oregon Township, enumerated by J. P. Carr
District 23 Charlestown Township, enumerated by Colden C. White
District 24 City of Charlestown, enumerated by Wm. Kirkpatrick
Fort Clark later became known as Clarksville. According to the Clark-Floyd Counties Convention and Tourism Bureau "Clarksville is the oldest Anglo-American town in the Old Northwest."
Clark County is also home to the oldest cemetery (Silver Creek, first burial was in 1805) in Indiana, Jeffersonville (southern Indiana's second largest city), the Colgate plant (used to house the Southern Indiana Reformatory), the Howard Steamboat Museum.
In 1880 there were over 20,000 people living in Clark Co. Approximately, half of the population was living in the towns of Jeffersonville and Clarksville in Jeffersonville Township.